R&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Sleeping sickness programmeR&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Sleeping sickness programme
R&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Sleeping sickness programmePhase II/III study results confirmed that fexinidazole, DNDi’s first new chemical entity is safe and effective, and presents significant advantages over current treatment as it removes the need for lumbar puncture and systematic patient hospitalization. A regulatory dossier has been submitted to the European Medicines Agency for fexinidazole as the first all-oral treatment for sleeping sickness.
R&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Leishmaniasis programmeR&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Leishmaniasis programme
R&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Leishmaniasis programmeThree new chemical entities entered the pre-clinical pipeline, bringing to six the number of new compounds progressing in the leishmaniasis portfolio, with two already nominated as clinical candidates to progress to Phase I. The first patient was recruited in India in Phase II studies to test new treatments for PKDL, while clinical sites were being prepared in Bangladesh and Sudan. A site was initiated in Sudan for a Phase III study to test a new combination treatment for leishmaniasis in the African region. In Latin America, a Phase II study on new combination treatments for cutaneous leishmaniasis progressed well.
R&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Chagas disease programmeR&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Chagas disease programme
R&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Chagas disease programmeTwo Phase II trials are ongoing, with the study in Bolivia on benznidazole for improved treatment of chronic indeterminate Chagas disease having completed recruitment at the end of 2017, and a study in Spain in the early stages of patient recruitment to evaluate fexinidazole as Chagas treatment. A pilot project to increase access to diagnosis and treatment in five endemic communities in Colombia showed excellent interim results and will report one-year results in mid-2018. In 2018, DNDi and Fundación Mundo Sano will launch a new Chagas Disease Regional Access Framework.
R&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Filarial diseases programmeR&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Filarial diseases programme
R&D Portfolio Update March 2018: DNDi Filarial diseases programmeThe portfolio of potential filaricidal treatments continues to progress, with emodepside (Bayer) and the antibiotic TylAMac (AbbVie) that have entered healthy volunteer Phase I studies with other pre-clinical candidates.
- Pharmaceutical companies and non-profits team up to provide affordable hepatitis C treatment in Latin America 5 March 2018
- New open source drug discovery project aims to develop mycetoma treatment 6 February 2018
- Sanofi, DNDi seek European Medicines Agency review for sleeping sickness treatment 31 January 2018
- Pharmaniaga, Pharco and DNDi sign agreement to provide affordable hepatitis C treatment in Malaysia 13 November 2017
- DNDi/GARDP opens new South Africa liaison office, hosted by South African Medical Research Council 8 November 2017
- The Guardian: “Who benefits from biomedical science?” 16 March 2018
- Agencia EFE: “El tratamiento contra hepatitis C será 14 veces más barato en Latinoamérica” 5 March 2018
- The Star Online: “Hope for hepatitis C patients” 2 March 2018
- Global Health NOW: “The road ahead for the most neglected disease” 1 March 2018
- Computerworld: “Researchers look to open source to tackle deadly infection” 7 February 2018
- In vitro and in vivo pharmacodynamics of three novel antileishmanial lead series by Van den Kerkhof M, Mabille D, Chatelain E, Mowbray CE, Braillard S, Hendrickx S, Maes L, Caljon G. International Journal for Parasitology: Drugs and Drug Resistance, April 2018
- Evaluation of a pan-Leishmania spliced-leader RNA detection method in human blood and experimentally infected Syrian golden hamsters by Eberhardt E, Van den Kerkhof M, Bulté D, Mabille D, Van Bockstal L, Monnerat S, Alves F, Mbui J, Delputte P, Cos P, Hendrickx S, Maes L, Caljon G. Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, March 2018
- Development of (6R)-2-Nitro-6-[4-(trifluoromethoxy)phenoxy]-6,7-dihydro-5H-imidazo[2,1-b][1,3]oxazine (DNDI-8219): A new lead for visceral leishmaniasis by Thompson AM, O’Connor PD, Marshall AJ, Blaser A, Yardley V, Maes L, Gupta S, Launay D, Braillard S, Chatelain E, Wan B, Franzblau SG, Ma Z, Cooper CB, and Denny WA. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, February 2018
- Treatment of adult chronic indeterminate Chagas disease with benznidazole and three E1224 dosing regimens: a proof-of-concept, randomised, placebo-controlled trial by Torrico F, Gascon J, Ortiz L, Alonso-Vega C, Pinazo MJ, Schijman A, Almeida IC, Alves F, Strub-Wourgaft N, Ribeiro I. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, January 2018
- Time and dose-dependence evaluation of nitroheterocyclic drugs for improving efficacy following Trypanosoma cruzi infection: A pre-clinical study by Mazzeti AL, Diniz LDF, Gonçalves KR, Nascimento AFS, Spósito PAF, Mosqueira VCF, Machado-Coelho GLL, Ribeiro I, Bahia MT. Biochemical Pharmacology, January 2018
- 3rd Colombian Meeting on Leishmaniasis and Chagas 21-23 March 2018 Medellin, Colombia Jorge Alvar, Senior Leishmaniasis Advisor - presentation and panel discussion on leishmaniasis
- AFRAVIH 2018 4-7 April 2018 Bordeaux, France Isabelle Andrieux-Meyer, Head of Clinical Development, Paediatric HIV/HCV Programmes - panel discussion on HIV and side session on ravidasvir-sofosbuvir results
- The International Liver Congress 2018 11-15 April 2018 Paris, France Isabelle Andrieux-Meyer, Head of Clinical Development, Paediatric HIV/HCV Programmes - poster presentation of results of the STORM-C-1 phase II/III trial
- DIA Europe 2018 17-19 April 2018 Basel, Switzerland Nathalie Strub-Wourgraft, DNDi Medical Director – Member of multi-stakeholder panel: “Towards access 2030: How can strengthening of regulatory systems contribute?”