2016 in Review2016 in Review
2016 in ReviewOur staff, partners, and stakeholders share their highlights from 2016.
DNDi welcomes extended funding from the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad) to develop new treatments for sleeping sicknessDNDi welcomes extended funding from the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad) to develop new treatments for sleeping sickness
DNDi welcomes extended funding from the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad) to develop new treatments for sleeping sicknessThe Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad) has extended its financial support to DNDi with additional funding.
Colombia has new diagnostic algorithm for the Chagas Disease Implementation Pilot ProjectsColombia has new diagnostic algorithm for the Chagas Disease Implementation Pilot Projects
Colombia has new diagnostic algorithm for the Chagas Disease Implementation Pilot Projects[November 2016] The implementation Project for Chagas disease in Colombia is moving forward. After an epidemiological analysis, the partners confirmed the change of the diagnostic algorithm for the country's pilot projects. With the new algorithm, positive cases for Chagas are confirmed by a simpler procedure test.
Renewed commitment of the German Government to neglected diseasesRenewed commitment of the German Government to neglected diseases
Renewed commitment of the German Government to neglected diseasesKfW, on behalf of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), grants EUR 10 Million to DNDi DNDi has been awarded EUR 10 million towards the development of treatments against sleeping sickness, visceral leishmaniasis, Chagas disease, and filarial diseases. The grant will be starting this year and be disbursed over five years.
- African eye worm is worse than it looks: new study shows that the disease leads to increased mortality 27 October 2016
- Global Antibiotic Research and Development Partnership receives financial support from Swiss Government 22 September 2016
- “Towards Ending the Neglect?” DNDi releases update on its Paediatric HIV Programme 14 July 2016
- Celgene joins DNDi’s “Drug Discovery Booster” to accelerate discovery of new treatments for neglected diseases 15 June 2016
- DNDi, Mundo Sano and Chemo team up to register benznidazole in US and Latin America 8 June 2016
- The Huffington Post: “A parasite attacked this dad’s brain and destroyed his family” 20 December 2016
- BBC Earth: “A bite from this fly puts you into a deadly sleep” 20 December 2016
- The Hindu: “Wake-up call on superbugs” 17 December 2016
- The Huffington Post: “How disease detectives unearthed a forgotten drug to fight a lethal illness” 13 December 2016
- Toremaga: “スーダン・ハルツーム大学のアーメド ファハル外科教授が来日 重篤な感染症「マイセトーマ(菌腫)」について講演を行う” 8 December 2016
- Safety and effectiveness of sodium stibogluconate and paromomycin combination for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in eastern Africa: results from a pharmacovigilance programme by Kimutai R, Musa AM, Njoroge S, Omollo R, Alves F, Hailu A, Khalil EAG, Diro E, Soipei P, Musa B, Salman K, Ritmeijer K, Chappuis F, Rashid J, Mohammed R, Jameneh A, Makonnen E, Olobo J, Okello L, Sagaki P, Strub N, Ellis S, Alvar J, Balasegaram M, Alirol E, Wasunna M. Clinical Drug Investigation, January 2017
- Chagas disease research and development: is there light at the end of the tunnel? by Chatelain E. Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal, December 2016
- Essential medicines for universal health coverage by Wirtz VJ, Hogerzeil HV, Gray AL, Bigdeli M, de Joncheere CP, Ewen MA, Gyansa-Lutterodt M, Jing S, Luiza VL, Mbindyo RM, Möller H, Moucheraud C, Pécoul B, Rägo L, Rashidian A, Ross-Degnan D, Stephens PN, Teerawattananon Y, ’t Hoen EFM, Wagner AK, Yadav P, Reich MR. The Lancet, November 2016
- Evaluation of parameters impacting drug susceptibility in intracellular T. cruzi assay protocols by Yang G, Lee N, Ioset JR, No JH. Journal of Biomolecular Screening, October 2016
- Nitroheterocyclic drugs cure experimental Trypanosoma cruzi infections more effectively in the chronic stage than in the acute stage by Francisco AF, Jayawardhana S, Lewis MD, White KL, Shackleford DM, Chen G, Saunders J, Osuna-Cabello M, Read KD, Charman SA, Chatelain E, Kelly JM. Scientific Reports, October 2016
- ISNTD Festival
International Society for Neglected Tropical Diseases FestivalFebruary 23, 2017 London, United Kingdom DNDi is a patron of this unique event and will also be participating.
- CROI 2017 February 23-26, 2017 Seattle, USA DNDi will be part of an oral presentation on the superboosting approach for children co-infected with HIV and tuberculosis.
- WorldLeish 6
6th World Congress on LeishmaniasisMay 16-20, 2017 Toledo, Spain The WHO ColIaborating Centre for Leishmaniasis at the Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid and the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative, Geneva have joined efforts to co-organize the WorldLeish-6 Congress.