DNDi delivers statement about CEWG on R&D Financing and Coordination at 69th World Health AssemblyAt the 69th WHA, Member States were asked to consider the outcomes of the Open-Ended Meeting and continue discussions on issues related to monitoring, coordination and financing for health research. Michelle Childs, DNDi‘s Head of Policy Advocacy, delivered the following statement on behalf of DNDi.
Mycetoma: A Simple Thorn PrickMycetoma: A Simple Thorn Prick
Mycetoma: A Simple Thorn PrickEvery Monday morning at a clinic on the dusty outskirts of the Sudanese capital Khartoum, sufferers of one of the world’s most neglected disease flock to the only place in the world that can offer them specialized care and treatment. Patients stream through the gates limping, on crutches, pushed by worried relatives on rusty wheelchairs or carried. Most have bandaged legs, many are amputees.
Malaria: New research promises to ease access to ASAQ and ASMQ treatmentMalaria: New research promises to ease access to ASAQ and ASMQ treatment
Malaria: New research promises to ease access to ASAQ and ASMQ treatmentAccess to effective treatment is central in the fight against malaria. The recently published PREGACT study has shown that artemisinin-based combination therapies are effective in pregnant women with malaria in Africa, without the safety concerns of other treatment types. Another success for malaria treatment comes with the World Health Organization’s announcement that the fixed-dose combination of artesunate+mefloquine (ASMQ) shelf-life has been extended from two to three years, which will greatly help with storage and distribution.
Call for papers for PLOS WorldLeish-6 CollectionCall for papers for PLOS WorldLeish-6 Collection
Call for papers for PLOS WorldLeish-6 CollectionDr Jorge Alvar, Head of Leishmaniasis, DNDi, and Dr Javier Moreno, Director of WHO Collaborating Center for Leishmaniasis, announce a call for papers on Leishmaniasis for the PLOS WorldLeish-6 Collection. See the PLOS article, calling for papers for the PLOS WorldLeish 6 Collection, as it appeared on the PLOS Blog.
- DNDi response to the addition of mycetoma to the WHO list of ‘Neglected Tropical Diseases’ 28 May 2016
- Global Antibiotic Research and Development (GARD) Partnership Garners Key Financial Support for Launch 24 May 2016
- Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative and Pharco Pharmaceuticals to test affordable hepatitis C regimen with support of Malaysian and Thai governments 13 April 2016
- Clinical Research Malaysia and the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative Sign Agreement to Launch Clinical Studies for a Public Health Approach to Hepatitis C in Malaysia 13 January 2016
- DNDi Statement on KaloBios’ Intention to Raise Price of Chagas Drug and File for FDA Priority Review 14 December 2015
- Global Health NOW: “One more chance for a neglected disease” 18 May 2016
- The Lancet: “Countries mull over incentive for developing antibiotics” 7 May 2016
- Financial Times: “Waking up to sleeping sickness” 29 April 2016
- FDFA: “Production of antimalarial drug successfully moved to Tanzania” 25 April 2016
- Le Monde: “Hépatite C: un traitement à moins de 300 dollars à l’étude” 20 April 2016
- Repositioning antitubercular 6-nitro-2,3-dihydroimidazo[2,1-b][1,3]oxazoles for neglected tropical diseases: Structure-activity studies on a preclinical candidate for visceral leishmaniasis by Thompson AM, O'Connor PD, Blaser A, Yardley V, Maes L, Gupta S, Launay D, Martin D, Franzblau SG, Wan B, Wang Y, Ma Z, Denny WA. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, March 2016
- An analysis of volumes, prices and pricing trends of the pediatric antiretroviral market in developing countries from 2004 to 2012 by Lee JSF, Teyssier LS, Nguimfack BD, Collins IJ, Lallemant M, Perriens J and Moatti JP. BMC Pediatrics, March 2016
- Eliminating the neglected tropical diseases: Translational science and new technologies by Hotez PJ, Pécoul B, Rijal S, Boehme C, Aksoy S, Malecela M, Tapia-Conyer R, Reeder JC. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, March 2016
- Synthesis and evaluation of analogs of the phenylpyridazinone NPD-001 as potent trypanosomal TbrPDEB1 phosphodiesterase inhibitors and in vitro trypanocidals by Veerman J, van den Bergh T, Orrling K.M, Jansen C, Cos P, Maes L, Chatelain C, Ioset J-R, Edink E.E, Tenor H, Seebeck T, de Esch I, Leurs R, Jan Sterka G. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, February 2016
- Validation and clinical evaluation of a novel method to measure miltefosine in leishmaniasis patients using dried blood spot sample collection by Kip AE, Rosing H, Hillebrand MJ, Blesson S, Mengesha B, Diro E, Hailu A, Schellens JH, Beijnen JH, Dorlo TP. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. January 2016
- Dundee Drug Discovery Unit: Celebrating 10 years May 18-20, 2016 Dundee, Scotland Graeme Bilbe, R&D Director, spoke at this scientific conference celebrating the tenth anniversary of the Dundee Drug Discovery Unit.
- Global health R&D: What’s at stake during the 69th WHA?
GHTC Panel DiscussionMay 23, 2016 Geneva, Switzerland A lunchtime panel discussion and webinar hosted by the Global Health Technologies Coalition and the Geneva Centre for Security Policy. Bernard Pécoul, Executive Director, DNDi spoke at the event.
- ISNTD d3 2016 May 25-26, 2016 London, United Kingdom Eric Chatelain, Head of Drug Discovery, will present on drug discovery and development for Chagas disease.
- DNDi Innovation & Access – Partners’ Meeting 2016 June 6-8, 2016 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil DNDi Latin America are organizing a series of events with conferences, discussions and meetings. International scientists, product developers, policy-makers, and civil society organizations, are invited to participate in the events in order to do the best science for the most neglected.