[Closing date: 13 October 2015]
DNDi Africa was established in 2003, and is based at the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. This regional office conducts R&D projects in the region, including clinical activities and data management for clinical trials for treatments for leishmaniasis, paediatric HIV, and others. It also leads capacity building projects through multi-country research platforms.
The Africa office is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the following vacant position:
Reporting to: Regional operations Manager (ROM), Nairobi
Supervises: Finance Officer, Nairobi
Overall purpose of the job:
The Finance Manager supports the Regional Operations Manager in implementing the financial management strategy of the DNDi Africa Regional Office (DNDi ARO), including cash, budget, financial reports and accounts management, to ensure effective and efficient delivery of financial support to the office operations, the LEAP Platform projects and the clinical trials DNDi is undertaking in the region.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Budget management – to ensure that the financial operations are in line with the approved annual budgets and in compliance with both DNDi and donor financial requirements. This should be achieved through;
- Participation in the budgeting process for DNDi Africa Regional Office activities
- Timely and accurate monthly budget follow up with proper analysis of expenditure levels and providing reports to the ROM and respective budget holders
- Implementation of the Internal Control System (ICS) on commitment of expenditure for DNDi Africa Regional Office
2. Treasury management – to ensure availability and proper utilization of funds for DNDi Africa operations. This is achieved through;
- Preparing periodic cash flow forecasts and requesting for funds from HQ
- Manage the banking and cash activities, ensuring periodic and frequent reconciliations and checks on balances
- Under the direction fo the ROM, to distribute funds to various project activities to ensure continuity of activities
3. Accounts management – to ensure production of accurate, complete and timely accounts on a monthly basis in compliance with DNDi internal accounting principles.
- Check, correct and validate monthly accounts in Navision within the stipulated timelines
- Carry out the necessary accounting controls such as quality of accounts, completeness of accounting documentation, reviewing of payable accounts, etc
- Participate in the mid-year and end-year closure of accounts for Nairobi office according to DNDi accounting principles
4. Partner financial reporting – to ensure that project partners produce their respective financial reports on a timely basis through implementation of partner Good Financial Practice (GFP)
5. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Skills & Qualification
- A Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting, master’s degree would be an added advantage
- Completion of CPA (K) or ACCA
- A minimum of 5 years working experience at a similar position in NGO or Research Institutions performing similar functions. International background would be an added advantage.
- Languages: fluent in English. French would be an added advantage,
- Computer skills: Excellent knowledge in spreadsheets, accounting packages. Experience working with Navision would be an added advantage
- Able to work alone and unsupervised in an organized and professional manner and with financial integrity
- Good interpersonal, people, communication and time management skills
- Problem solving and helpful approach
- Willingness and flexibility to travel as required
Terms of Employment:
The position is full time based in Nairobi with frequent travels locally, regionally and internationally
Excellent salary commensurate with skills and experience and in line with DNDi Africa remuneration scales.
Contract is 2 years, renewable by mutual agreement and subject to exemplary performance, 3 months probation, notice period 1 month.
Preferred start date: 4th January 2016 or earlier
Applications are due no later than 13th October 2015 and should be sent via email to:
Applications should include the following:
- Application letter explaining why you are applying for this post
- Current Curriculum Vitae listing names of three references with their contact details (Telephone and E-mail)
- Contact Telephone Number
- Certificates and Diplomas or transcripts to be available during the interviews