[Closing date: October 15, 2017]
Established in 2003, Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a not-for-profit research and development (R&D) organization that develops new, improved, and affordable medicines for deadly neglected diseases that afflict millions of the world’s poorest people.
DNDi focuses on discovering and developing treatments for sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis), Chagas disease, leishmaniasis, filarial infections, paediatric HIV, mycetoma, and hepatitis C. In 2016, in collaboration with the World Health Organization, DNDi launched the Global Antibiotic Research and Development Partnership, a not-for-profit research and development initiative set up to develop new antibiotic treatments addressing antimicrobial resistance and to promote their responsible use for optimal conservation, while ensuring equitable access for all.
Since its inception, DNDi has developed seven new treatments for neglected patients for malaria, sleeping sickness, visceral leishmaniasis, Chagas disease, and paediatric HIV with several new drug candidates in the R&D pipeline, including two for sleeping sickness. Our objective is to deliver 16 to 18 new treatments by 2023, ensure equitable access to these treatments, and build a robust pipeline of new drug candidates.
Purpose of the position
The Digital Marketing Intern will support DNDi’s digital communications. The responsibilities will include a range of tasks focused on creating, editing and disseminating content. There will also be the opportunity to help with other communications tasks in the department as these arise.
The internship will offer real-world experience in digital communications within a busy team and the opportunity to develop core digital communications skills and expertise. As a full-time member of the DNDi communications team, the intern will gain invaluable experience in a wide variety of global health NGO communication work.
Specific job responsibilities
- Update websites with articles and content including events, people profiles, job advertisements, press releases, media coverage, scientific articles, etc
- Update existing website content by editing text and images to update information and improve SEO
- Source and edit images, maps, graphics, and statistics
- Prepare and upload downloadable content and videos
- Proofread, research, edit, and write texts (blurbs and web copy)
- Support setup, formatting, and distribution of e-newsletters and mass mailings
- Upload and edit content in the multimedia database
- Update contacts in the contact database
- Answer general DNDi email and direct emails as appropriate
Additional opportunities depending on skillsets and workload priorities
- Develop and disseminate content for social media and other digital channels
- Research and identify opportunities to engage with online influencers and distribution channels
- Produce regular and ad-hoc reports on website usage and e-newsletter engagement
- Support research into website visitors, user journeys, and navigation
- S/he reports to the Digital Communications Manager, but will also engage in work managed by other members of the communications team as appropriate
- The position interacts strongly with other members of the DNDi communications team based in Geneva and around the globe.
Skills and attributes
- Demonstrable interest in digital and media work
- Excellent computer literacy and familiarity with current web technologies, including content management systems, basic HTML coding, and MS Office applications
- Working knowledge of current social media platforms and channels, including best practices
- Good eye for design and basic graphic design skills, including familiarity with Photoshop and Illustrator
- Strong writing and proofreading skills in English (other languages, particularly French, an advantage)
- Accurate and detail-oriented
- Plenty of ideas, motivation, and inspiration
- Willingness and ability to manage administrative tasks
- Strong organisational skills, punctual, reliable, and self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Flexible team member ready to adapt to the needs of the team
- Experience of working in digital marketing/communication
- Have completed, or be working towards, a degree in a relevant field, i.e. international relations, political science, journalism/communications, digital production, health/medical/science, or law
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Status: 100% (negotiable) – Intern position – 6 months
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until October 15th.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.