[Closing date: July 27, 2017]
Established in 2003 Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a collaborative, patients’ needs-driven, non-profit drug research and development (R&D) organization that is developing new treatments for Neglected Diseases.
The Global Antibiotic Research and Development Partnership (GARDP) is a not-for-profit research and development organization that addresses global public health needs by developing and delivering new or improved antibiotic treatments, while endeavoring to ensure sustainable access. Initiated and incubated through close collaboration between WHO and Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi), GARDP is part of the implementation of the Global Action Plan on Antimicrobial Resistance that calls for new public-private partnerships for encouraging research and development of new antimicrobial agents and diagnostics.
GARDP’s mission is to work in partnership with the public and private sectors, to develop and deliver new treatments for bacterial infections where drug resistance is present or emerging, or for which inadequate treatment exists.
GARDP is currently hosted and facilitated by DNDi, which provides the scientific environment, necessary personnel, and infrastructure to ensure an effective start-up phase.
Purpose of the position
The Senior Business Development & Marketing Manager will support GARDP in achieving its objectives by managing, under the supervision of the Director, Business Development and Corporate Strategy and in close cooperation with GARDP R&D teams, the business development and licensing activities necessary to implementing the partnership strategies.
This is a broad role, ranging from identifying potential partners, building relationships, negotiating complex collaborations and licensing agreements for pharmaceutical development, manufacturing and commercialization, to monitoring the evolution of the field and attending scientific and business conferences. Based on a thorough analysis and comprehension of the global and local characteristics of a particular intervention, a particular emphasis will be put on developing suitable strategies and business models to insure accessibility and affordability of the treatments developed by GARDP, while also contributing to their appropriate use. The applicant must be willing to take a holistic approach and perform all levels of work required to support the BD efforts, including administrative tasks, on a small, energetic and leanly resourced team.
Specific job responsibilities
Business Development responsibilities
- Identify, develop, and implement near-term and long-term business strategies fulfilling GARDP’s vision and mission.
- Develop an acute understanding of the antibiotic landscape related to GARDP’s interventions.
- Identify existing and potential partners’ capabilities and strengths along the entire “antibiotic value-chain”.
- Liaise with GARDP Project Leads to anticipate support needs from BD and prepare BD action plans.
- Contribute to building sustainable and trustworthy relationships with current and prospective partners.
- Monitor partners’ activities to anticipate on facts that could impact on relationships.
- Participate in external events and meetings relevant to GARDP activities.
Business analysis responsibilities
- Gain market intelligence in indications of interest for GARDP, including identification of main actors, distribution chains, end-users, etc.
- Contribute to develop alternative business models to support GARDP’s vision and mission.
- Facilitate new business prospects by staying abreast of trends and identifying new opportunities.
- Help maintain and develop specific databases.
- Develop an expertise in the pharmaceutical product and the evaluation of business development or partnering opportunities.
- S/he reports to GARDP Director, Business Development and Corporate Strategy.
Skills and attributes
- Entrepreneurial spirit and experience.
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates strong judgment and problem solving competencies.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent Project management skills.
- Capable of strategic thinking and leadership.
- Experienced negotiator.
- Ability to exercise high degree of independence to support program delivery and explore new areas of activities.
- Strong ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders.
- Over 10 years’ experiences in Business Development and Analysis and Business Model Innovation, particularly in the healthcare sector.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial experience and mindset.
- Proven experience in establishing business partnerships.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and matrix structure.
- Experienced in managing large size projects with budget management.
- Master Degree in Life Science, Marketing or Business Admiration or another relevant advanced degree.
- Fluency in English.
- Proficiency in French highly desirable.
- Very good knowledge of business and office productivity tools, including database searches and use.
- Significant travel may be required.
- Status: (Full time – Permanent role).
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until July 27th.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.