[Closing date: 9 July 2018]
Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a collaborative, patients’ needs-driven, non-profit drug research and development (R&D) organization that is developing new treatments for Neglected Diseases (www.dndi.org)
The Global Antibiotic Research and Development Partnership (GARDP) is a not-for-profit research and development organization that addresses global public health needs by developing and delivering new or improved antibiotic treatments, while endeavoring to ensure sustainable access. Initiated and incubated through close collaboration between WHO and DNDi, GARDP is part of the implementation of the Global Action Plan on Antimicrobial Resistance that calls for new public-private partnerships for encouraging research and development of new antimicrobial agents and diagnostics (www.gardp.org)
GARDP’s mission is to work in partnership with the public and private sectors, to develop and deliver new treatments for bacterial infections where drug resistance is present or emerging, or for which inadequate treatment exists.
GARDP is currently hosted and facilitated by DNDi, which provides the scientific environment, necessary personnel, and infrastructure to ensure an effective start-up phase.
Purpose of the position
The Discovery Senior Project Manager manages multiple drug discovery projects applying highly collaborative, virtual models to access the best science to contribute to GARDP’s portfolio of new chemical entities (NCEs). The Discovery Senior Project Manager liaises closely with GARDP’s Disease Teams, supports on-going development projects, and ensures emerging results from the clinic are quickly fed back into discovery projects. The Discovery Senior Project Manager also helps design and tests new approaches for conducting drug discovery for neglected patients and diseases.
The Discovery Senior Project Manager leads the activities of one or more existing or new drug discovery consortia comprised of academic research laboratories, research institutes, CROs, pharmaceutical companies, and expert consultants. The consortia optimize hits from screening and after achieving in vivo proof of principle proceed to select advanced leads and ultimately preclinical candidates for further development. The Discovery Senior Project Manager may continue to support the preclinical development of candidates in collaboration with DNDi’s Pharmaceutical Development and Translational teams.
The Discovery Senior Project Manager may attend programme team meetings, working closely with colleagues to communicate progress in discovery projects and to also bring back findings from the clinic into discovery.
The GARDP Discovery team will develop and test novel approaches to conducting drug discovery through innovative science, partnerships and models. The Discovery Senior Project Manager contributes ideas and helps implement and develop these new approaches.
Specific job responsibilities
- Manage one or more of GARDP’s drug discovery consortia, assign and manage resources, and assess progress and priorities. Accountable for a significant budget and resources and ensure they are used effectively to deliver against the annual action plan.
- Will be the point of contact between GARDP, the DNDi Discovery Team, and multiple external partners
- Seek out new science and partners to enrich GARDP’s discovery projects
- Will be an integral part and work very closely with the other members of the Discovery Team
- Prepare reports and present results to GARDP’s management, scientific advisory committee, and external stakeholders
- Work closely with colleagues on fundraising activities
- Will be an ambassador for GARDP, present our work to partners and at scientific meetings, and influence the research environment for AMR
- Work closely with colleagues of the Communication Department and involved in the R&D part of annual reports, etc.
Skills and attributes
- Very strong ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Very clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates strong judgment and problem-solving competencies
- Excellent communication, and public speaking skills, ability to convince and represent GARDP at high level events
- Experience of successfully managing global multicultural teams
- Very well organized and structured
- Very strong analytical skills
- Very strong ability to manage project delivery
- Very strong ability to manage large size projects with budget management
- Very strong management, negotiation, and advocacy skills
- Very strong ability to exercise high degree of independence to support programme delivery and explore new areas of activities
- Very strong ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders
- Lead and motivate a team for optimum performance, supervising junior staff
R&D technical skills
- Expert in medicinal chemistry or a related drug discovery discipline such as biology/DMPK/toxicology
- Broad understanding of interdisciplinary drug discovery
- Experience of working in highly collaborative teams across different time zones
- Over 8 years in Senior roles in drug discovery teams with a track record of successful project delivery
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and matrix structure
- Experience of working in antibacterial drug discovery is highly desirable
- Experience of working in public and private sector is highly desirable
- Advanced post graduate degree or graduate degree with equivalent in experience to reach at least Masters level in chemistry, microbiology, or pharmacy
- Fluency in English
- Proficiency in local languages desirable
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, project planning software
- Experience with ScienceCloud is desirable
- S/he reports to the GARDP Head of Scientific Affairs
- Status: full time – permanent role
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 9 July 2018
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.