[Closing date: 10 June 2018]
Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a collaborative, patients’ needs-driven, non-profit drug research and development (R&D) organization that is developing new treatments for Neglected Diseases (www.dndi.org).
The Global Antibiotic Research and Development Partnership (GARDP) is a not-for-profit research and development organization that addresses global public health needs by developing and delivering new or improved antibiotic treatments, while endeavoring to ensure sustainable access. Initiated and incubated through close collaboration between World Health Organization (WHO) and DNDi, GARDP is part of the implementation of the Global Action Plan on Antimicrobial Resistance that calls for new public-private partnerships for encouraging research and development of new antimicrobial agents and diagnostics (www.gardp.org).
GARDP’s mission is to work in partnership with the public and private sectors, to develop and deliver new treatments for bacterial infections where drug resistance is present or emerging, or for which inadequate treatment exists.
GARDP is currently hosted and facilitated by DNDi, which provides the scientific environment, necessary personnel, and infrastructure to ensure an effective start-up phase.
Purpose of the position
The overall purpose of the role is to:
- Oversee financial operations of GARDP worldwide and produce detailed, accurate, and timely reporting on the financial status of the organization to the GARDP Executive Team, the Board of Directors, and external stakeholders including donors
- Ensure compliance of the overall organization to finance regulations and internal financial guidelines (by-laws, policies, ICS, Swiss GAAP, etc.)
- Support the development of adapted information flow and tools to plan and monitor GARDP activities (e.g., processes, Gantt charts, indicators, etc.)
- Provide guidance to the GARDP Leadership Team on relevant issues
Specific job responsibilities
- Lead the set up and establishment of financial and, progressively, business support services of the new GARDP legal entity
- Develop and implement policies and planning tools to evaluate and advise on financial impact of GARDP strategies over time, including tools to anticipate needs for funding in support of the Fundraising Department
- Strengthen and support financial management of GARDP projects in regional office
- Overview and validated the financial relationship with DNDi: set-up of sharing services billing, re-invoicing system for some specific activities, and the management of sharing resources in Regional Offices
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of budget, financial trends, and forecast
- Oversee all aspects of Finance & Accounting functions of the organization, making sure procedures are in place
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable laws and rules for financial reporting
- Organize statutory and legal audits (point of contact with financial auditors) and the issuance of an annual Financial and Performance Report
- Acts as the Secretary of the Board Audit Committee, ensuring timely document preparation and distribution, supporting the organization of Audit Committee meetings and following up on recommendations made by the Audit Committee that are approved by the Board
- Manage GARDP cash flow (and potentially fixed assets and debt) as to ensure best usage of resources and optimize income from investments
- Provide analyses and guidance on the best use of GARDP current and potential resources (e.g. support to procurement, in kind contribution, cost analyses, performance systems, impact analyses, business models, funding mechanisms, etc.)
- Manage the Finance and Administration Department: Prepare and manage the budget of the department; ensure coaching and internal leadership to Finance Department team members
- Insure the budget process is well understood by the teams and appropriately implemented
- Actively participate in the production of the Annual Action Plan by overseeing the production of budgets, ensuring coherence, and producing summaries
- Elaborate the budget of the business plan and revised it on a regular basis
- Coordinate with and support as appropriate the Executive, R&D, IT, and Finance Teams in the development of planning tools (for short, medium and long-term projects), from identification of the needs to definition of requirements and implementation of tools (balanced score card, project planning solution, performance indicators, new model of audit, link with business plan, etc.)
- Develop and maintain systems that provide the organization and external stakeholders, as appropriate, with quick access to financial and business information; work flow involving Finance Department
- Integrate relevant regional offices in planning activities such as budgeting, work flow, set up of Gantt charts, etc.
- Support R&D team in improving project management and implement key project planning components
- Support DNDi fundraising strategy and implementation
- Adjust on a monthly basis the yearly amount of donor grants to match project budgets/spending, quantify quarterly funding gaps within GARDP’s budget
- Advise the Fundraising Team on areas to fund in priority; actively participate to scoping of proposals for donors; shape proposal budgets to meet GARDP’s and donors’ constraints
- Review all proposal budgets before submission to donors
- Review all donor contracts (financial sections) before signature for compliance
- Monitor institutional and private financial grants (budget & cash-flow follow-up) to optimize use, oversee production of financial proposals and reporting to donors
- Prepare the yearly audit with Fundraising Team and supervise specific donor’s audits
Additional/specific projects responsibilities
HR & administration
- Ensure compliance with Human Resources policy
- Insure the time sheet management and procedures are aligned to finance needs
- Supervise HR organizational developments and growth
- Ensure that the administration of and payments of payroll, social security, national taxes and pension, are handled in compliance with local regulations and GARPD policy
- Ensure travel policy is consistent and fair within GARDP
- Provide input into GARDP’s organizational communication
- Extract summary data (including indicators) for GARDP annual report, ad hoc communication on specific projects, etc.
- Coordinate development and maintenance of global collaboration agreements with DNDi, and more specifically in the field of Finance, HR and Administration, Information Systems and regional set up. Contribute shaping and nurturing future alliance(s).
- Interacts with DNDi counterparts to ensure alignment with DNDi policies and processes.
Skills and attributes
- Excellent ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Very clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates strong judgment and problem-solving competencies
- Knowledge of managing global, multicultural teams
- Highly organized and structured
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent ability to lead strategic programmes
- Excellent ability to manage budgets for large programmes
- Excellent strategic thinking and leadership abilities
- Excellent management, negotiation, and advocacy skills
- Excellent ability to exercise high degree of independence to ensure programme delivery and explore new areas of activities
- Excellent ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments
- Excellent communication, and public speaking skills, ability to convince and represent DNDi at high level events
- Excellent ability to lead and motivate a team for optimum performance
- Minimum 15 years’ relevant experience including several at senior management level
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and matrix structure
- Experience building and leading teams in a start-up environment
- Proven track record in financial management and leadership positions
- Master degree or PhD
- Fluency in English
- Proficiency in local languages desirable
- Willingness and ability to travel globally
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- S/he reports to the Executive Director of GARDP and to the Chair of GARDP Audit Committee
- S/he attends the Executive Team of GARDP
- S/he liaises on a regular basis with GARDP Head of Fundraising, Heads of Diseases, Head of Human Resources, and Legal Counsel
- S/he liaises on a regular basis with DNDi Operations leadership in particular the Director of Operations and his/hers teams
- S/he participates to relevant DNDi-GARDP coordination meetings.
- S/he develops and maintains external relationships and represents GARDP in negotiations to ensure commitment of partners to concerted actions
- Status: full time – permanent role
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 10 June 2018
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.