[Closing date: 19 January 2018]
The Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a collaborative, patients’ needs-driven, non-profit drug research and development (R&D) organization that is developing new treatments for Neglected Diseases (www.dndi.org)
The Global Antibiotic Research and Development Partnership (GARDP) is a not-for-profit research and development organization that addresses global public health needs by developing and delivering new or improved antibiotic treatments, while endeavoring to ensure sustainable access. Initiated and incubated through close collaboration between WHO and Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi), GARDP is part of the implementation of the Global Action Plan on Antimicrobial Resistance that calls for new public-private partnerships for encouraging research and development of new antimicrobial agents and diagnostics.
GARDP’s mission is to work in partnership with the public and private sectors, to develop and deliver new treatments for bacterial infections where drug resistance is present or emerging, or for which inadequate treatment exists.
GARDP is currently hosted and facilitated by DNDi, which provides the scientific environment, necessary personnel, and infrastructure to ensure an effective start-up phase.
Purpose of the position
The GARDP Finance Manager supports the GARDP Senior Operations Manager in implementing the financial management strategy of the GARDP, including budget, financial reports, and accounts management, to ensure effective and efficient delivery of financial support to the office operations.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Responsible for the budgeting process
- Build GARDP annual budget, conduct budget revisions. and follow-up for GARDP projects with the support of the Accountant and in collaboration with the R&D Team and other departments
- Work closely with budget holders to understand operational issues and support their use for financial planning and controls
- Build and maintain project/program entire budget, follow-up and adjust the timeline and costs when needed
- Review operating budgets to analyze trends affecting budget needs
- Undertake ad hoc financial analysis tasks when required. This will include benchmarking for donor’s presentation at the annual meeting, case analysis, etc.
- Contribute to establish and manage dash board with GARDP R&D teams, Fundraising department and Finance team
In charge of proposal and financial reporting to donors in collaboration with Fundraising team
- In collaboration with the GARDP R&D, Fundraising teams and Finance team build financial proposals for donors
- Produce/prepare intermediate and final financial reports for submission to donors in collaboration with R&D, Fundraising teams, and Finance team
- When needed and in agreement with R&D teams when relevant, liaise with financial staff in partner organizations as well as in donors’ organizations
- Contribute to identifying funding gaps of the projects and advise Fundraising team when scoping proposals for donors
- Allocate grants to GARDP activities as per donor requirements and organizational needs
- Ensure that compliance mechanisms with donors’ requirement / policies are in place and follow up accordingly
- Liaise with Fundraising team to prepare donor audit to support the Sr. Operations Manager and Head of Financial Control
- Support the finance team for the year end closing process
- Support the accounting team in charge of regional office accounting
- Ensure the correct allocation of expenditures, on ad doc basis control expenditures and payments
- Produce statistics and special reports when required: P&L report, etc.
- Responsible for revenue recognition for GARDP and production of year-end income financial report
- S/he reports to GARDP Senior Operations Manager with functional report to Head of Financial Control
- Works with all GARDP / DNDi teams, and all units in all departments
- S/he has a representational role through the promotion of programs and maintain productive relationships by projecting the image of a credible partner
Skills and attributes
- Strong ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment and problem solving competencies
- Strong communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments
- Strong ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural team
- Well organized and structured
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong ability to manage medium/large projects with budget management
- Strong management, negotiation, and advocacy skills
- Has autonomy for taking actions and decisions
- Strong ability to interact with external stakeholders
- A minimum of 5 years working experience in a similar position
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and matrix structure
- Experience of working in non-for-profit organization and/or pharma is desirable
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting. Master’s degree would be an added advantage
- Fluent in English, good knowledge of French
- Knowledge of the ERP Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision)
- Capable of respecting deadlines
- Good knowledge of IT tools and excellent skills in Excel
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally
- Status: (Full time – Permanent role)
- Please submit your application using the online form.
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 19 January 2018
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.