Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
[Closing date: 30 June 2018]
Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a collaborative, patients’ needs-driven, non-profit drug research and development (R&D) organization that is developing new treatments for Neglected Diseases (www.dndi.org)
After 13 years of sustained growth, DNDi has built a team of approximately 200 full-time employees working across nine offices (Geneva, Rio de Janeiro, Kinshasa, Nairobi, New Delhi, Kuala Lumpur, New York, Cape Town, and Tokyo).
The DNDi Latin America office was opened in 2004. With the primary aim to support regional R&D activities for Chagas disease and leishmaniasis, the Latin American office also undertakes advocacy and communications activities to increase neglected diseases awareness in the region. It also leads capacity building projects through multi-country research platforms.
The Operations Department was created in 2011 to help the Executive Director focus on strategic activities. It coordinates DNDi infrastructure globally (finance, operational and strategic planning, human resources, information systems and technology, legal structuring, risk management, and organisational development) and supports decision-making and flows of information across the organisation. It also provides oversight to business development and legal activities and liaison offices.
In a very multicultural environment (30+ nationalities), DNDi is also characterized by the professional diversity of its profiles mixing in a balanced way talents from the public, private, and NGO sectors.
With the growth of the organization and its increasing complexity, there is a need to further structure DNDi HR strategy and roll out its recently updated HR framework and policy.
Purpose of the position
The Human Resources Intern will directly assist the Human Resources Manager with a wide range of activities related to HR compliance, recruiting, onboarding/orientation, employee benefits, and other administrative and human resources tasks, as assigned.
S/he will be responsible for establish and maintain administrative systems and processes that allow effective management of all correspondence, reporting requirements and documentation, including personal details of all new staff members, and updating and accurately maintaining data of all existing employees
S/he carries out a limited number of manual or repetitive tasks within defined standard, policies, or practices. S/he needs to have some knowledge of procedures and policies, as well as of relevant equipment is required.
Scope of work (results)
Her/his actions reflect on the work unit and the reputation of the team.
Specific job responsibilities
- Assist with all recruitment activities and coordination
- Develop/revise phone screen/phone interview scripts
- Post job opportunities to online job posting sites, social media, and other online resources
- Utilize applicant tracking system to screen and recommend candidates for interviews
- Coordinate/conduct pre-screen interviews
- Provide support of new hire onboarding process, arranging new employee’s induction
- Review new hire paperwork for accuracy and compliancy
- Assist to review and/or update current job descriptions
- Assist in implementing and administering HR policies and procedures
- Contribute to the development/maintenance of HR information systems, updating various databases (e-social, Navision, Figgo)
- Assist in maintaining HR records (electronic and physical files)
- Manage the on-line holiday system and local procedures, which include vacation payment and respective controls
- Aid in coordination of employee leaves-of-absence
- Be responsible for collecting, archiving, and controlling timesheets
- Audit employee personnel, training, and other files for compliance with applicable laws, as well as maintaining current employee details and contracts updated.
- Photo-copying, filing, and prepare correspondences as required
- Be accessible and respond to staff/manager enquiries in a timely manner
- Assist with employee orientation
- Develop research methodologies, compiles data and statistics, and designs reports and proposals on human resources topics
- Assist in development and delivery of training programmes
- Assist in the development and delivery of employee relations/employee retention initiatives
- Help coordinate completion of appraisal process and ensure timely completion and filing of all related documents and updating of HRIS (SharePoint)
- Assist with benefits and payroll administration
- Help with safety and wellness initiatives
- Perform other duties as assigned
Additional /specific/projects responsibilities
- S/he will be responsible for assisting the team with the general HR tasks including contributing to special projects and other duties as assigned
- Depending on the interest and background of the individual, “projects” refer to organization improvement activities in areas such Learning & Development, Staff Attraction & Retention, Recruitment Strategies, etc.
- Human Resources Management, Business Management, Psychology, or a related field, at least coursing 4-5 period
Skills and attributes
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Good communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural team
- Attention to detail, the ability to multi-task and excellent oral and written communication skills are all essential to this position
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentially
- Proficiency in Portuguese
- Advanced English
- Spanish is desirable
- Good Knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- The Intern will report directly to the Human Resources Manager, but will work closely with all HR department staff.
- Work with operations team, and regional office Latin America departments
Type of Contract: 30h/week – 6h/day
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 30 June 2018
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.