[Closing date: 9 March 2018]
Established in 2003, the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a not-for-profit research and development (R&D) organization that develops new, improved, and affordable medicines for deadly neglected diseases that afflict millions of the world’s poorest people.
DNDi focuses on discovering and developing treatments for sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis), Chagas disease, leishmaniasis, filarial infections, paediatric HIV, mycetoma, and hepatitis C. Since its inception, DNDi has developed seven new treatments for neglected patients for malaria, sleeping sickness, visceral leishmaniasis, Chagas disease, paediatric HIV with several new drug candidates in the R&D pipeline including two for sleeping sickness. Our objective is to deliver 16 to 18 new treatments by 2023, ensure equitable access to these treatments, and build a robust pipeline of new drug candidates.
DNDi Africa was established in 2003 in Nairobi to ensure connection with our founding partner KEMRI and support clinical development programmes. This DNDi regional office conducts R&D projects in the Eastern Africa region (esp. Kenya, Uganda, Sudan, Ethiopia, Tanzania), including clinical activities and data management for clinical trials for treatments for leishmaniasis, paediatric HIV, mycetoma and others. It also leads capacity strengthening initiatives through multi-country research platforms with the objective to ensure sustainable R&D capacities for DNDi projects. The team has grown to approx. 30 people today. As part of the global strategy, DNDi is further empowering its regional teams to ensure a coherent regional development across disease areas and activities, while reinforcing coherence among disease clusters.
Purpose of the position
The purpose of the position is to support DNDi’s LEAP Platform function while gaining working experience in an international organization. The LEAP intern will support the LEAP Coordinator in implementation of planned activities to strengthen the LEAP Platform to facilitate improved access to treatments for leishmaniasis patients in the region. S/he will contribute to the ongoing operations of the organization, towards strategic positioning of LEAP 2.0.
- Provide support in implementation of activities as set out in the LEAP Action Plan 2018 and Budgets
- Support in planning and coordinating of regular partner meetings including conference calls/video conferences
- Contribute to the production of communications publications such as the LEAP newsletter, brochures, etc.
Specific job responsibilities
- Update and maintain the LEAP contacts database
- Provide support in collecting information for the LEAP newsletter, and in generation of regular updates of LEAP activities for DNDi’s webpage
- Help in the administrative and logistical aspects of all LEAP activities, including planning for meetings, which will vary according to the ongoing activities of the LEAP Platform
- Rapporteur discussions during meetings
- To participate in efforts geared towards improving the effectiveness and efficiency of operations in accordance with the policies and procedures as laid down in the organization’s Quality Manual
- Any other duties assigned
Skills and attributes
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Good communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural team; establish and maintain active and progressive working relations within the work environment
- Exceptional organizational, research and social skills with proven ability to produce high quality results under tight deadlines, while simultaneously managing multiple projects and assignments
- Deep understanding of and commitment to poverty-related global health, scientific research, medical innovation, and access to medicines issues in developing countries, especially in Africa
- Independence, initiative, good judgment, and strong interpersonal skills
- Self-inspired and motivated, driven, resourceful, innovative, energetic, forward thinking, and committed
- Strong desire to learn along with professional drive
- Relevant experience, proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and matrix structure
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 9 March 2018
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.