[Closing date: 5 February 2018]
Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a collaborative, patients’ needs-driven, non-profit drug research and development (R&D) organization that is developing new treatments for Neglected Diseases (www.dndi.org).
The Operations Department was created in 2011 to help the Executive Director focus on strategic activities. It coordinates DNDi infrastructure globally (finance, operational and strategic planning, human resources, information systems and technology, legal structuring, risk management, and organisational development) and supports decision-making and flows of information across the organisation. It also provides oversight to business development and legal activities.
Purpose of the position
DNDi manages numerous contracts with a variety of partners around the world, ranging from academia, research institutes, pharmaceutical and biotech companies, CROs, consultants, or donors. The drafting, finalization, and management of these contracts require a dedicated professional with the appropriate legal qualifications necessary to design appropriate agreements encompassing the various activities of the organization (R&D, Fundraising, Communication, Administration, and Finance).
Specific job responsibilities
- Draft, review, negotiate, and finalize agreements, contracts, and other legal documents for specific diseases, products or departments allocated (including CDAs, MTAs, clinical agreements, various kinds of service contracts, amendments, memorandum of understanding, letters of intent etc.) in collaboration with the Head of Legal and other senior team members, the Procurement Manager, and the relevant project managers
- Draft and develop new template agreements and regularly update existing template agreements according to needs
- Help in contract follow-up regarding deadlines, extensions, and amendments
- Assist in conducting legal due diligence by identifying legal implications of contracts or any other binding documentation that need to be brought to the attention of the Head of Legal
- Conduct legal research when needed or requested, and prepare relevant documentations for contract drafting
- Ensure consistency between contracts and conformity with DNDi’s statutory and legal requirements, objectives and internal policies, and implement the required provisions
- Ensure internal compliance with contractual procedures and processes
- Assist in the development of internal procedures or management tools related to contract activities and regularly update the information in such tools
- Help to maintain the contracts database
- Retrieve data on contracting activities from the contract database as per requests from other DNDi departments
Skills and attributes
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment and problem-solving competencies
- Very good communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural team
- Ability to contribute to the project delivery.
- Ability to manage small projects if delegated by upper levels with supervision
- Ability to supervise an intern or apprentice
- High level of professional ethics and integrity
Experience & education
- A Master degree in Law
- Experience (up to 3 years) in drafting, writing and editing legal contractual documents
- A previous experience with the pharmaceutical/biotech or alike industry legal affairs will be valued
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Fluency in English
- Proficiency in local languages desirable
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Status: (Full time – Permanent role)
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 5 February 2018
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.