[Closing date: 9 March 2018]
Established in 2003, the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a not-for-profit research and development (R&D) organization that develops new, improved, and affordable medicines for deadly neglected diseases that afflict millions of the world’s poorest people.
DNDi focuses on discovering and developing treatments for sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis), Chagas disease, leishmaniasis, filarial infections, paediatric HIV, mycetoma, and hepatitis C. Since its inception, DNDi has developed seven new treatments for neglected patients for malaria, sleeping sickness, visceral leishmaniasis, Chagas disease, paediatric HIV with several new drug candidates in the R&D pipeline including two for sleeping sickness. Our objective is to deliver 16 to 18 new treatments by 2023, ensure equitable access to these treatments, and build a robust pipeline of new drug candidates.
DNDi Africa was established in 2003 in Nairobi to ensure connection with our founding partner KEMRI and support clinical development programmes. This DNDi regional office conducts R&D projects in the Eastern Africa region (esp. Kenya, Uganda, Sudan, Ethiopia, Tanzania), including clinical activities and data management for clinical trials for treatments for leishmaniasis, paediatric HIV, mycetoma and others. It also leads capacity strengthening initiatives through multi-country research platforms with the objective to ensure sustainable R&D capacities for DNDi projects. The team has grown to approx. 30 people today. As part of the global strategy, DNDi is further empowering its regional teams to ensure a coherent regional development across disease areas and activities, while reinforcing coherence among disease clusters.
Purpose of the position
The purpose of the position is to act as the first point of contact for visitors and callers to DNDi ARO and to assist in undertaking a range of administrative tasks to contribute to the effective functioning of DNDi ARO.
Specific job responsibilities
- Answer calls and direct inquiries to the appropriate party for action
- Takes and delivers accurate phone messages and promptly relays messages to the appropriate persons
- Welcome and appropriately direct visitors around DNDi ARO, issuing visitor badges and monitoring the visitor’s logbook
- Serve as a central recipient of all incoming and outgoing office correspondence. Sorts all incoming mail, stamping date received and redirecting them to the relevant personnel for action
- Oversee general office cleanliness including cleanliness in common office areas (meeting rooms, kitchen, dining area and bathrooms)
- Monitor and ensure that the reception area is kept tidy and projects the DNDi image
- Train all new staff in the operation of the telephone system, as part of the New Staff Induction process and take pro-active approach to ensuring existing staff are properly trained on making full use of the system
- Review and update on a regular basis the staff contact and telephone extension list
- Schedule and coordinate use of the meeting rooms including reservations, cleanliness, meeting room inventory, and provide logistical support to meetings, including preparation of meeting rooms and assist in arrangements for catering provisions
- Handles minor accounting activities as needed
- Monitor the use of office supplies (stationery & kitchen supplies) and in coordination with the Office Assistant maintain adequate stocks; tasks include processing documentation, validating and obtaining authorization for purchase, and ordering new supplies
- Coordinate service calls for repair and maintenance of office equipment
- Serve visitors tea / coffee / water and ensure utensils are cleaned
- Participate in efforts geared towards improving the effectiveness and efficiency of operations in accordance with the policies and procedures as laid down in the organization’s Quality Manual
- Any other duties as may be assigned
Skills and attributes
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment and problem-solving competencies
- Good communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural team
- Well organized and structured
- Good analytical skills
- Ability to contribute to the project delivery under supervision
- Ability to manage small projects if delegated by upper levels with close supervision
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and matrix structure
- Relevant degree/diploma.
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 9 March 2018
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.