Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
[Closing date: 3 February 2019]
Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a collaborative, patients’ needs-driven, non-profit drug research and development (R&D) organization that is developing new treatments for Neglected Diseases (www.dndi.org)
After 15 years of sustained growth, DNDi has built a team of approximately 200 full-time employees working across nine offices (Geneva, Rio de Janeiro, Kinshasa, Nairobi, New Delhi, Kuala Lumpur, New York, Tokyo, and Cape Town).
The DNDi Latin America office was opened in 2004. With the primary aim to support regional R&D activities for Chagas disease and leishmaniasis, along with activities in hepatitis C, the Latin American office also undertakes advocacy and communications activities to increase neglected diseases awareness in the region. It also leads capacity building projects through multi-country research platforms
The External Affairs Departments aims to design, implement, and evaluate Policy, Advocacy, Communications, and Fundraising strategies.
The Communications team ensures wide, timely, and strategic dissemination of information on DNDi and research in the field of neglected diseases. Target audiences include national and international political leaders; the scientific community; the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries; donor countries and organizations; civil society organisations; and the media.
Purpose of the position
In collaboration with the Communications Coordinator in Rio, the Corporate Communications Officer works to ensure that DNDi’s brand and key messages are effectively and accurately communicated through a range of communications tools. S/he works as part of the Communications Team in DNDi Latin America office in Rio and collaborates closely with the global team based in Geneva to ensure the delivery of the Communications team annual plan in alignment with regional and global priorities.
Specific job responsibilities
Writing and content production
- In consultation with R&D, Advocacy, Fundraising, and other teams, and in line with regional communications plan, identify needs for content development for DNDi Latin America
- Write content for leaflets, brochures, policy briefs, fact sheets, messaging docs, op-eds
- Collaborate with Senior Digital Communications Officer to keep website content up to date and propose new content as appropriate
- Write content for social media as needed and other digital communications such as email communications pieces in collaboration with Senior Digital Communications Officer
- Ensure style is appropriate to the intended objective and audience of all regional communications pieces and advise other teams on style as needed
- Ensure that all information is accurate and standardized, including technical and scientific information, across all DNDi publications and other written communications output in the region (Portuguese and Spanish)
- Liaise with internal teams as needed to source information and validate content
- Translate content and manages external translation as needed
- Proofread content as needed, including on digital channels
Management of corporate communications tools
- Project manage all types of publications and other corporate communications tools such as banners, materials for events, etc.
- Manage external suppliers such as designers, printers, etc.
- Identify needs and commissions or develops design templates to be used by different teams in order to maintain quality of communications and alignment with corporate visual identity (slides, save the date, invites for events, etc.)
- Ensure all communications output from the regional office applies the DNDi style guide and corporate visual identity
- Manage the budget for corporate communications material, is accountable for following financial guidelines and best practice and for monitoring expenses per project and throughout the year.
Content collection initiatives
- Keep a register of photographers and videographers in the region who have worked, or could work, for DNDi
- Support content collection trips as needed and may go on trips if appropriate
- Manage relationship with photographers and videographers participating in content collection, from contract negotiation to post production commitments
- Follow and champions DNDi’s guideline for content collection
- Write, or support other teams in writing captions for pictures
- Work in transcription of video material resulting from content collection, as needed
- Keep track of DNDi scientific production at regional level and identifies opportunities for wider communications
- Map scientific publications in the region that could be relevant for DNDi scientific communications
- Maps scientific events in the region and feed information to global calendar
- Support Scientific Communications focal point in Geneva with editing/proofreading of scientific articles/publications produced in the region, as needed.
Support to events
- Keep track of events where DNDi Latin America is participating
- Identify needs and supports with communications planning and production of materials, in coordination with other areas, as per “Ways of Working” agreed at regional level
- Produce content about events for communications on DNDi owned channels
- Support Communications Coordinator with media management/admin tasks
- Support other teams with ad hoc translation services, either providing translations or outsourcing them
- Support other functions in the team as needed
Skills and attributes
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment and problem solving competencies
- Very good communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural team
- Well organized and structured
- Very good analytical skills
- Rigorous approach to quality and great attention to detail
- Ability to contribute to the project delivery under minimum supervision
- Ability to manage small projects if delegated by upper levels with supervision
- Ability to supervise an Intern or Apprentice
- Ability to write different types of content to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to write concisely and translate complex and technical information into simple language
- Experience working as part of a communications team and producing communications material
- Experience in managing external suppliers such as designers, printers etc., including the development of detailed production timelines
- Experience in writing for digital channels and basic knowledge of SEO (desirable)
- Experience working with scientific/medical teams/organisations desirable
- Graduate or post graduate degree on communications or related area
- Fluent Portuguese, including outstanding writing skills
- Fluent English
- Fluent Spanish (desirable)
- S/he reports to the Communications Coordinator
- Work as part of the Communications team and with regular collaboration with other teams in the DNDi Latin America office as well as the global Communications team
- Manage external suppliers such as translators, designers, printers, photographers, etc.
- Work with external partners in case of joint publications
- Status: full time – permanent role
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 3 February 2019
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted