The Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) and the Universidade de São Paulo (USP) are world-class academic and research institutions based in Latin America. Research groups from these institutions have gathered to discover new innovative drugs for the treatment of tropical parasitic diseases in close collaboration with two leading international drug discovery organizations – Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi, www.dndi.org) and Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV, www.mmv.org) – both having a significant track record in discovering and developing novel drug treatments for neglected patients.
This consortium is supported by the Research Support Partnership Program for Technological Innovation (PITE–FAPESP). The major goals of this multidisciplinary team are (1) the delivery of high-quality preclinical candidates for the treatment of Chagas disease, leishmaniasis and malaria, and (2) to build a world class academic drug discovery center for tropical diseases in Latin America.
During 2020 the team will significantly expand its activities, based on previous successful collaborations. In this view, we are seeking for:
- 4 (four) highly qualified FAPESP postdoctoral fellows with extensive experience in organic synthesis, preferably applied to medicinal chemistry, to join the drug discovery consortium at UNICAMP, Campinas, São Paulo, under the supervision of Prof. Luiz Carlos Dias. The selected postdoctoral researchers will be responsible for the design of target molecules and synthetic routes, working on chemical series provided by DNDi and MMV, then carry out the synthesis in the laboratory.
- 1 (one) highly qualified FAPESP postdoctoral fellow with extensive experience in computational medicinal chemistry to join the drug discovery consortium at USP, São Carlos, São Paulo, under the supervision of Prof. Adriano Andricopulo. The selected postdoctoral researcher will be responsible for the development and application of multiple in silico tools supporting compounds design and data analysis within the project.
- 1 (one) highly qualified FAPESP postdoctoral fellow with extensive experience in cell culture and molecular biology to join the drug discovery consortium at USP, São Carlos, São Paulo, under the supervision of Prof. Rafael Guido. The selected postdoctoral researcher will be responsible for the antimalarial profiling of chemical series provided by MMV.
Successful candidates are expected to play a leading role within the drug discovery project and liaise closely with other drug discovery scientists (e.g. medicinal chemistry, parasitology, DMPK, safety, formulation), contributing to the overall project team. These roles offer opportunities to work in close collaboration with leading drug discovery scientists in academia and industry.
FAPESP fellowships are competitive in the country and are granted for 24 months plus possible renewal for additional 12 months. The current tax-free monthly stipend is R$ 7.373,10, plus initial moving allowance. The vacancies are open to Brazilians and foreigners.
- PhD or equivalent degree in chemistry, medicinal chemistry, computer science, physics, pharmacy, biology, parasitology, molecular biology or microbiology. Candidates must have obtained the degree within the last 7 (seven) years.
- Outstanding record of scientific achievements as evidenced by publications, patents etc.
- Demonstrated international experience and ability to work within multidisciplinary teams.
- Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
- Previous hands-on Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery experience in academic or industrial setting.
Applications can be submitted only by e-mail, with attached documentation in PDF format, until March 30th, 2020. For the organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry positions please contact Prof. Luiz Carlos Dias (UNICAMP) (email@example.com). For the computational medicinal chemistry position please contact Prof. Adriano Andricopulo (USP) (firstname.lastname@example.org). For the molecular biology position please contact Prof. Rafael Guido (USP) (email@example.com)
Necessary documents: letter of interest, current CV including published papers attesting the capacity to carry out the project and 2 letters of recommendation.