New York, USA
[Closing date: 28 February 2020]
The Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a not-for-profit research and development (R&D) organization.
Founded by Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) in 2003 with funds from its 1999 Nobel Peace Prize award, DNDi discovers, develops, and delivers treatments for neglected communities around the world suffering from diseases for which there are few – if any – effective treatments. DNDi works with more than 200 partners worldwide to deliver treatments that are affordable and specifically designed for the people and places that need them most. To date, DNDi has delivered eight new treatments for five deadly diseases. DNDi has built a team of approximately 240 employees working across nine offices (Geneva, Rio de Janeiro, Kinshasa, Nairobi, New Delhi, Kuala Lumpur, New York, Tokyo, and Cape Town). In 2008, DNDi opened an affiliate office in New York City, a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
In 2018, DNDi held its first-ever fundraising gala in New York to celebrate its 15th anniversary (for more information click here and here). The event brought together over 250 partners, supporters, and friends to help raise almost half a million dollars for DNDi’s lifesaving work. The 2020 Gala will be held on 8 October 2020, and will feature a VIP cocktail reception, a seated dinner, and an awards ceremony, and will also showcase a short film, narrated by Sharon Stone, featuring doctors, patients, grandmothers, and other caregivers striving to improve the lives of children with HIV/AIDS. An estimated 250+ influencers in medical research, global health, business and finance, and philanthropy are expected to attend.
The Fundraising Event Manager (Consultant) is a member of the Gala Team at DNDi and is responsible for leading the sponsorship and fundraising strategy for the 2020 Making Medical History Gala. He/she will work closely with other members of the DNDi Fundraising and Communications teams and will also interact with the R&D and Business Development teams as needed in relation to the corporate sponsorship strategy. This role will report to the Regional Executive Director.
The Gala Team includes core members in NYC (Regional Executive Director, Fundraising Event Manager, Senior Communications Manager, Senior Advisor, External Affairs) and extended members (Director External Affairs, Head Global Fundraising in Geneva) and others, as needed.
Specific job responsibilities
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Gala sponsorship & fundraising strategy
- Work with Regional Executive Director and other senior leadership in DNDi to implement corporate sponsorship strategy and other sponsorship and fundraising activities (outreach to foundations, individuals, etc.)
- Secure corporate sponsorships, underwriters, table sales, ticket sales, and appropriately manage the Steering Committee and Benefit Committee
- Monitor all revenue including event tickets, possible auction items, and underwriting pledges
- Work with the Gala Team and production company to procure fundraising platform and facilitate the set-up, operation, and maintenance of a successful night-of gala fundraising
- Prepare a variety of reports including weekly ticket and table sales reports, post-event revenue reports, etc.
- Execute all sponsorship package fulfillment including advertising, journal ads, table placement and seating, meet & greet introductions, etc.
- Execute and secure post-event transactions (e.g. auction items, outstanding pledges, etc). Reconcile revenue with Finance.
- Oversee daily flow of all aspects of event management including timeline, budgets, meeting agendas/minutes, and work plan
- Serve as a liaison with the Gala Team, event production company, and Steering Committee. Facilitate all weekly and monthly meetings
- Work with the Gala Team, production company and DNDi legal team to see that all grant applications, sponsor and vendor contracts, invoices, pledge letters, and acknowledgements comply with DNDi’s policies and are executed in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Oversee and ensure accurate and timely event-related data entry
- In collaboration with the Gala Team, design firm, and production company, help ensure timely printing and distribution of all creative associated with the event (invitations, letters, Gala journal, table signs, signage, etc.)
- Manage RSVP and guest list, work with the Gala Team on seating arrangements and executing the seating plan. Oversee registration and the check-in process at the event
- Work with the production team and volunteers to oversee setup and strike of equipment, furniture rentals, AV, staging, room setups, signage, sponsors space, registration, gift bags, and any auction items
- Coordinate volunteers and staff assignments for day/night of event
- Prepare post-event evaluation
Qualifications, requirements & attributes
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (minimum)
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in non-profit fundraising or related field; must have experience in organizing, implementing and, executing fundraising/recognition events
- Excellent knowledge of principles, methods, and practices of private fundraising
- Excellent project management, writing, analytical, and organizational skills, as well as an attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multicultural team to collaborate effectively with a wide range of staff, partners, vendors, and volunteer leadership
- Ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Sound judgement and sensitivity to confidential donor information
- Experience managing budgets, negotiating with vendors, and managing event registration and databases
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, project management software, etc., knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to DNDi’s mission and values
- Status: short-term consultancy with contract ending November 2020
- Start date: ASAP and no later than 15 March 2020
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 28 February 2020
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Application submission for this position may close early if we have enough suitable applicants