The DNDi Latin America office was opened in 2004. With the primary aim to support regional R&D activities for Chagas disease, malaria, and leishmaniasis, the Latin American office also undertakes advocacy and communications activities to increase neglected diseases awareness in the region.
DNDi in Latin America
Rua São Jose, 70 – Sala 601
Centro – Rio de Janeiro
Tel: +55 21 2529 0400
- Completed recruitment of clinical trial on cutaneous leishmaniasis combining thermotherapy with miltefosine in Colombia and Peru
- Completed an in vitro study to test the susceptibility of Leishmania infantum to the drug miltefosine
- Started a retrospective study to assess the effectiveness of amphotericin B for the treatment of HIV/VL-coinfected patients in Brazil, in collaboration with 7 public institutions, the Health Surveillance Secretariat of the Brazilian Ministry of Health, and PAHO/WHO
- Held a succesful 5th redeLEISH meeting in Rio de Janeiro with a focus on the harmonization of clinical trials for cutaneous leishmaniasis
- Completed the BENDITA study of benznidazole to treat Chagas disease in three sites in Bolivia, leading to results in early 2019
- Completed recruitment for the Fexi 012 study of fexinidazole to treat Chagas in five sites in Spain
- Evaluated the impact of the Colombia Access Project for Chagas diagnosis and treatment and started new Chagas treatment access projects in Guatemala and Brazil
- Hosted a Chagas Platform meeting in Bolivia with a focus on research priorities and signatures for the Santa Cruz letter, calling on governments and international organizations to step up their efforts to eliminate Chagas as a public health problem
- Announced a collaboration between Insud Pharma, DNDi, and Pharco to enable access to ravidasvir, an affordable HCV treatment in Latin America
- Established official relations between DNDi and PAHO to strengthen efforts and collaboration on Chagas, leishmaniasis, hepatitis C, and innovation and access policies in the Region of the Americas
- Supported GARDP‘s global observational study of newborns with sepsis
- Completion of recruitment in the clinical study of new regimens of benznidazole monotherapy and in combination with fosravuconazole in Bolivia for the treatment of Chagas disease
- Start of a Phase II clinical study in Spain to test short courses of fexinidazole for Chagas disease
- Implementation of a new, simplified diagnostic algorithm and treatment for all patients with Chagas disease, including chronic patients, as part of the pilot Chagas Access Programme in Colombia
- Start of a clinical study on cutaneous leishmaniasis combining thermotherapy with miltefosine in Colombia and Peru
- Pilot project for access and implementation of Chagas diagnosis and treatment launches in four regions of Colombia, to boost national response in partnership with MoH.
- Study results pave the way for treatment guidelines to change in Brazil, replacing Glucantime by AmBisome® as first-line VL treatment.
- UNASUR (Union of South American Nations) High-Level Meeting with Health Ministry representatives discusses access to HCV treatment with DNDi participation.
- DNDi Partners’ Meeting in Rio de Janeiro gathers 300 neglected disease R&D stakeholders to debate regional and global issues, such as innovative funding and emerging public health challenges.
- Newly-formed Social Movement against NTDs holds first meeting in Brazil, bringing together patients and public health actors in a new advocacy focused initiative.