|An improved treatment option
- Age-adapted, easy-to-use, affordable, and non-patented tablet, for the treatment of Chagas
- Disease in infants and young children under 2 years of age (20 kg body weight).
- Contributes to improved dosing accuracy, safety, and adherence to treatment
- Granted registration by Brazil’s National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA), with further endemic countries targeted for obtaining registration.
Main advantages of the Paediatric dosage form of Benznidazole
- A single tablet allows coverage of a wide age range, up to 2 years old or body weight 20 kg
- Child-adapted dose of 12.5 mg per tablet
- Easily dispersible tablet to facilitate oral administration
- No need for tablet fractionation (except for low-birth weight babies <2.5 kg: half a tablet)
- Simple and reliable administration that does not require complex preparation and can therefore be administered at home, even during the long duration of treatment (twice daily for 60 days)
Result of a three-year collaborative partnership, starting in 2008, between DNDi and the Pernambuco State Pharmaceutical Laboratory (Laboratório Farmacêutico do Estado de Pernambuco; LAFEPE) of Brazil. LAFEPE is the second largest public laboratory in Brazil and the only producer of benznidazole in the world.