LAFEPE: The industrial partner in this project is LAFEPE (Pernambuco State Pharmaceutical Laboratory;
Laboratório Farmacêutico do Estado de Pernambuco) of Brazil. LAFEPE is the second largest public
laboratory in Brazil and the only producer of benznidazole in the world, after a successful technological
transfer of the production from the original producer, Roche. LAFEPE was created in 1966 to produce
medicines at low cost for people with limited purchasing power. Based in Recife, the capital of the state
of Pernambuco in northeastern Brazil, LAFEPE focuses on developing, producing, and marketing drugs to
support the needs of public health policy.
Funding support for the drug development project and for the implementation and access tools came
- the Department for International Development (DFID), UK;
- the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DGIS), The Netherlands;
- Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors without Borders (International, Italy, Brazil);
- the Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (AECID), Spain;
- the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), Switzerland;
- United States Agency for International Development, via the 4th Sector Health Project implemented by Abt Associates, Inc;
- Swiss private foundations
- individual donors.