Ending the Neglect of Chagas in ColombiaEnding the Neglect of Chagas in Colombia
Ending the Neglect of Chagas in ColombiaHidden in the mountains, forests, and pastures of the central Andean region in Colombia are small, remote communities where Chagas disease still takes a heavy toll.
DNDi agreement with Colombia Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to guarantee access to comprehensive care for Chagas patientsBogotá, Colombia - 14 April 2018 Objective is to improve access to diagnosis and treatment of people affected by this disease An agreement to facilitate and strengthen access to diagnosis and treatment of patients with Chagas and other diseases of public health interest has been signed by the Colombian Ministry of Health and Social Protection and the non-profit research and development organization Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi).
Drug approved in Argentina for treatment of Chagas disease in childrenBuenos Aires, Argentina - 13 April 2018 Argentina has approved the paediatric indication of a drug used for treatment of Chagas disease, benznidazole, which will now be available in 12.5 mg pills, the dose required to treat children under the age of 2. The indication was approved by the Argentinian National Administration for Drugs, Food, and Medical Technologies (ANMAT).
Clinical trial to find new treatment for visceral leishmaniasis begins in eastern AfricaClinical trial to find new treatment for visceral leishmaniasis begins in eastern Africa
Clinical trial to find new treatment for visceral leishmaniasis begins in eastern AfricaAddis Ababa - 13 April 2018 Study launched as part of new Afri-KA-DIA Consortium will also assess diagnostic tools A new study to find a safer, efficacious and more patient-friendly treatment and improved diagnostic tools for people living with visceral leishmaniasis (VL) has begun in eastern Africa, within the new Afri-KA-DIA consortium with funding from The European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP). The large-scale Phase III clinical trial seeks to assess the efficacy and safety of a combination of miltefosine and paromomycin in treating VL in eastern Africa.
- DNDi agreement with Colombia Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to guarantee access to comprehensive care for Chagas patients 14 April 2018
- Drug approved in Argentina for treatment of Chagas disease in children 13 April 2018
- Clinical trial to find new treatment for visceral leishmaniasis begins in eastern Africa 13 April 2018
- New affordable hepatitis C combination treatment shows 97% cure rate 12 April 2018
- Takeda Pharmaceutical and DNDi collaborate to progress a potential new drug for visceral leishmaniasis through the R&D pipeline 5 April 2018
- STAT: “Will this experimental hepatitis C treatment break Gilead’s grip on middle-income countries?” 12 April 2018
- Fortune: “Hepatitis C drugs can cost $84,000. This new one may be just as good – but cost $300” 12 April 2018
- The Guardian: “Non-profit’s $300 hepatitis C cure as effective as $84,000 alternative” 12 April 2018
- The Guardian: “Who benefits from biomedical science?” 16 March 2018
- Agencia EFE: “El tratamiento contra hepatitis C será 14 veces más barato en Latinoamérica” 5 March 2018
- Treatment advocate tactics to expand access to antiviral therapy for HIV and viral hepatitis C in low- to high-income settings: making sure no one is left behind by Grillon C, Krishtel PR, Mellouk O, Basenko A, Freeman J, Mendão L, Andrieux-Meyer I, Morin S. Journal of the International Aids Society, April 2018
- In vitro and in vivo pharmacodynamics of three novel antileishmanial lead series by Van den Kerkhof M, Mabille D, Chatelain E, Mowbray CE, Braillard S, Hendrickx S, Maes L, Caljon G. International Journal for Parasitology: Drugs and Drug Resistance, April 2018
- Evaluation of a pan-Leishmania spliced-leader RNA detection method in human blood and experimentally infected Syrian golden hamsters by Eberhardt E, Van den Kerkhof M, Bulté D, Mabille D, Van Bockstal L, Monnerat S, Alves F, Mbui J, Delputte P, Cos P, Hendrickx S, Maes L, Caljon G. Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, March 2018
- Development of (6R)-2-Nitro-6-[4-(trifluoromethoxy)phenoxy]-6,7-dihydro-5H-imidazo[2,1-b][1,3]oxazine (DNDI-8219): A new lead for visceral leishmaniasis by Thompson AM, O’Connor PD, Marshall AJ, Blaser A, Yardley V, Maes L, Gupta S, Launay D, Braillard S, Chatelain E, Wan B, Franzblau SG, Ma Z, Cooper CB, and Denny WA. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, February 2018
- Treatment of adult chronic indeterminate Chagas disease with benznidazole and three E1224 dosing regimens: a proof-of-concept, randomised, placebo-controlled trial by Torrico F, Gascon J, Ortiz L, Alonso-Vega C, Pinazo MJ, Schijman A, Almeida IC, Alves F, Strub-Wourgaft N, Ribeiro I. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, January 2018
- The International Liver Congress 2018 11-15 April 2018 Paris, France Isabelle Andrieux-Meyer, Head of Clinical Development, Paediatric HIV/HCV Programmes - poster presentation of results of the STORM-C-1 phase II/III trial
- DIA Europe 2018 17-19 April 2018 Basel, Switzerland Nathalie Strub-Wourgraft, DNDi Medical Director – Member of multi-stakeholder panel: “Towards access 2030: How can strengthening of regulatory systems contribute?”
- 28th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 21-24 April 2018 Madrid, Spain Monique Wasunna, Director, DNDi Africa – presentation on visceral leishmaniasis in a session on Africa & Middle East
- MSF Scientific Days 2018 24-25 May 2018 London, UK Olawale Salami, Paediatric HIV Clinical Project Manager DNDi Africa - presentation of the LIVING study on treatment for paediatric HIV Leishmaniasis Team, DNDi - presentation on PKDL in the Indian subcontinent Jorge Alvar, Senior Leishmaniasis Advisor, DNDi - presentation on HIV-VL in East Africa